Integrated Family Support and Community Resources for Individuals and Families
"HMS Family Support Services provides a wide range of social services that are designed to support the communities we serve through a holistic view of true community population health."
Edith Lee, LMSW
HMS Chief Support Officer
HMS Family Support Services
Edith Lee, LMSW, Chief Support Officer (CSO), leads the HMS Family Support Services team. The importance of individuals having support systems goes beyond the medical, dental or mental health visit for true health and quality of life.
Integrated care is a large component of Family Support Services at HMS. Our Community Health Workers (CHWs) work alongside medical providers to address issues in the patient’s home environment that might stand in the way of health outcomes.
The HMS Family Support Services staff provides a wide range of services that address social determinants of health and chronic stress issues that often affect patient health outcomes. Assistance is provided to community members in locating community resources and services for their healthy development, such as food stamps (SNAP assistance), low or no-cost health insurance, nutrition education, diabetes education, and enrollment in HMS’ sliding fee payment option.
A vast array of other social services are provided, including support to our senior citizen population and assistance for pregnant and parenting teens.
Available Family Support Services:
- Child Safety Seat education/distribution
- Community Resources – access to SNAP food assistance, utility assistance, and referrals for housing and transportation needs
- Diabetes Education
- First Born Program – provides first time parents with education and support to encourage successful growth and development (Hidalgo County only)
- Graduation, Reality, and Dual Role Skills (GRADS) Program – support for pregnant and parenting teens
- HMS Sliding Fee enrollment
- Imagination Library – free book program for children under 5 years of age (Hidalgo County only)
- Insurance Enrollment for Medicaid, Medicare, and New Mexico Exchange
- Outreach Event Coordination – related to health, fitness and nutrition
- Parenting Classes
- Registered Dietitian – provides nutrition counseling and group classes